Happy new year to everyone!
This is my first post for the year 2012 and I’m pretty excited to write this. Although the jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 was out a few days ago, I figured it posting when it is really stable. The first day when it was released, I got my iPhone 4 crushed so I restored it fresh and waited for a few days. I had just recently jailbroken my iPhone 4 and the test is now successful, in fact I installed some of my favorite jailbreak tweaks already, and they are now working just as expected.
This procedure is also applicable to the following iDevices running iOS 5.0.1:
- iPod Touch (any generation running iOS 5.0.1)
- iPhone 3G and 3GS
- iPad (the original iPad)
For now, iDevices with A5 processors like the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S has NO jailbreak yet. We’ll wait for the Chronic-Dev Team for more updates.
To jailbreak your iPhone 4, make sure you have updated to iOS 5.0.1. If your device is not running with iOS 5.0.1, update NOW before it’s too late.
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.10b1 in my download page and save it to your desktop.
- After extracting RedSn0w, right-click RedSn0w and select ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Turn OFF your iPhone and follow the next steps to bring your iPhone in DFU mode while it is connected in your computer. To do this, hold Power and Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds. Release the Power button while continue holding the Home button for another 15 seconds or until it activates DFU mode.
- Make sure the ‘Install Cydia’ option is checked and click NEXT.
- RedSn0w will jailbreak your iPhone automatically. Just wait for the jailbreak to finish. This will take a few minutes, just be patient and don’t worry if you see a black screen with lots of stuffs written.
- You should now have a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia installed in the springboard.
The following video will guide you through the installation.
For questions and comments, please use the space below and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Follow me on Twitter @esemchoy. For the latest news in Jailbreaking especially the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, make sure to check my blog once in a while.